Vegetarian Tex-Mex Cornbread Stuffing
This healthy stuffing has plenty of flavor to please vegetarians and meat-eaters alike.
Serves: 10Prep: 10 minutesCook: 40 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced, about 1¼ cup
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced, about 2 cups
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, or 1 Tbsp. fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground Chipotle pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 cornmeal muffins, cubed, about 4 cups
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, about ¾ cup
- 1⁄4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1⁄2 red onion, finely diced, about ½ cup
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spread olive oil in a large roasting pan, about 9”x13”. Add the red bell pepper, onion, garlic, sweet potato and spices. Roast vegetables about 15-20 minutes, until tender, stirring halfway through baking time.
- Stir in the black beans, cornbread cubes, and vegetable broth and stir gently to mix evenly.
- Top the stuffing with shredded cheese and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds. Bake for 35-40 minutes until stuffing is hot and cheese is melted. Refrigerate leftovers.