Vegan “Meatloaf” with Fig Glaze
All you need to do to prepare this recipe is combine the ingredients in a large mixing bowl, transfer the mixture to a loaf pan and bake in the oven. Once the loaf cools, simply turn it out onto a cutting board and spread the fig glaze on top. Serve with your favorite holiday side dishes for a filling and healthful meal.
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1⁄4 cup Kroger® Tomato Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup Kroger® Raw Pecan Pieces
- 1⁄2 cup water, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked split peas
- 2 tablespoons Kroger® Balsamic Vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 2 ounces baby spinach
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 9”x5” loaf pan.
- Add the cooked brown rice, cooked split peas, tomato sauce, balsamic vinegar, all-purpose flour, raw pecans and dried cranberries to a large mixing bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the ground flax seed with the water. Allow it to sit for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. This mixture will thicken substantially and will have an egg-like consistency after it sits.
- In a large skillet, add the olive oil and heat to medium-high. Add the chopped onion and celery and sauté, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent and celery has softened, about eight minutes.
- Add the chopped mushrooms, grated carrot, minced garlic, oregano, thyme, cayenne and sea salt. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the baby spinach and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the sautéed vegetables from the heat and allow them to cool for 5 minutes.
- Pour the flax “egg” mixture into the mixing bowl with the rice and split peas. Transfer the sautéed vegetables to the mixing bowl. At this point, all of the ingredients for the "meatloaf" will be in the mixing bowl. Stir everything together until well-combined.
- Transfer the “meatloaf” mixture to the prepared loaf pan and pat it down into an even layer. Place on the center rack of the oven and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until loaf has firmed up in the center and is golden-brown around the edges. Allow loaf to cool 20 minutes.
- While the “meatloaf” is cooling, whisk together the ketchup and fig preserves for the glaze. Turn the loaf out onto a cutting board, then spread the glaze over the top. Cut thick slices and serve.