Sage Cauliflower Au Gratin
This cheesy cauliflower side dish is loaded with fresh sage and warm flavors. Serve it for a small holiday gathering with loved ones.
Serves: 4Prep: 15 minutesCook: 40 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 head cauliflower (about 5 cups), cut into florets
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 cup milk, warmed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum, if needed
- 1⁄4 cup gruyere cheese, shredded and divided
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 6 fresh sage leaves
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper and add cauliflower. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Toss to combine and bake 20-25 minutes, until tender.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add almond flour and stir for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk, until completely incorporated and smooth. Add nutmeg, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Stir until thickened, if needed, stir in xanthan gum to thicken. Whisk in 3 tablespoons gruyere cheese and Parmesan cheese. Stir in dried sage.
- Prepare an 8”x8” baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Add the roasted cauliflower and top with sauce. Gently stir to combine. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon gruyere cheese. Bake 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 3 tablespoons oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add sage leaves and cook until crisp, about 20 seconds. Transfer to a paper towel and set aside.
- Top with fried sage and serve. Refrigerate leftovers.