Nut-Free Carrot Cake Bites
Here’s a sweet treat you can feel good about tucking into your child’s lunch or having available for after-school snacks. These “energy bites” have naturally sweet carrots loaded with vitamins, and raisins and dates, which are great sources of dietary fiber.
Serves: 24Prep: 25 minutesCook: 15 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups Simple Truth Organic™ Whole Carrots, grated
- 4 tablespoons Simple Truth Organic™ Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup Simple Truth Organic™ Unsweetened Coconut Flakes, divided
- 1 teaspoon Kroger® Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 teaspoon Kroger® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Kroger® Instant Non-Fat Dry Milk
- 2 tablespoons Simple Truth Organic™ Seedless Raisins, minced
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Spread a baking sheet with the coconut oil, sprinkle grated carrots over the top and roast for 15 minutes, stirring once during the baking time. On a separate sheet bake ¼ cup of the coconut 5 minutes, until light golden brown. Allow to cool while you prepare the other ingredients.
- In a food processor blend the dates, remaining ½ cup of the coconut, pie spice, vanilla extract and milk powder until smooth. Pulse in the cooled roasted carrots and the raisins for a few seconds.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and knead together by hand to make a smooth mixture. Divide into 24 small pieces and shape into balls. Roll in the toasted coconut and chill in an airtight container. Keep refrigerated. These will keep at least 1 month refrigerated.