Kentucky Hot Brown Mac and Cheese
The classic Kentucky sandwich makes a delicious transition to macaroni and cheese.
Serves: 8Prep: 30 minutesCook: 35 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 container (10-12 oz.) grape tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Kroger® Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 pound short cut pasta (like penne or elbow macaroni)
- 2 cups cooked turkey breast, diced
- 1 cup bacon pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter plus ¼ cup melted butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups whole milk
- 8 ounces shredded white cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 slices white bread, cut into cubes
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place grape tomatoes on a sheet pan and toss with the olive oil. Roast for 20-25 minutes until slightly browned.
- Reduce oven to 375°F. Butter a 9”x13” baking pan or 3-quart casserole dish.
- Cook pasta 2 minutes shy of package time; drain. Transfer to a large bowl. Add turkey and bacon; set aside.
- In a 3-quart sauce pan over medium heat melt 3 tablespoons butter; whisk in flour, mustard, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Cook 2-3 minutes stirring constantly. Slowly add milk while whisking constantly until smooth. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thickened. Remove from the heat and add cheeses; stir until melted and smooth.
- Pour cheese sauce over pasta mixture; stir gently to combine. Gently stir in tomatoes and transfer to prepared baking pan.
- Toss bread cubes with melted butter. Sprinkle over the top of the macaroni. Bake 25-30 minutes until bubbly and bread starts to toast.