Chivito (Beef Steak Sandwich)
This loaded Uruguayan sandwich is made with a winning combination of pan-fried steak, bacon, lettuce, tomato, fried egg and melted mozzarella.
Serves: 4Prep: 15 minutesCook: 10 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 1/2 pounds sirloin tip sandwich steaks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese or 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 4 large ciabatta or kaiser rolls
- 1/2 cup olive oil mayo
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 4 eggs, cooked sunny side up or fried
- 1 head green leaf lettuce
- 8 slices beefsteak or vine ripened tomatoes
- 8 slices thick cut bacon, cooked and cut in half
- 1 small red onion, sliced thin
- Place steaks between two sheets of parchment paper and pound to ¼” thickness.
- In small bowl, combine garlic, salt and pepper. On both sides of each steak fillet, generously sprinkle seasoning; let rest until room temperature.
- In skillet over medium-high heat, cook each fillet in oil 2 minutes per side, or until medium rare. 3. Remove from heat; top with cheese.
- In small bowl, combine ketchup and mayo. Spread an even layer on the top and bottom of each kaiser roll.
- On each roll, layer hot steak with cheese, egg, lettuce, tomato slices, bacon and red onion.