Bitter Chocolate Shortbread
These barely sweet, tender cookies pair perfectly with a hot mug of coffee or tea.
Prep: 15 minutesCook: 2 hours 15 minutesTotal: 2 hours 30 minutes
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Sift in flour, cocoa powder and salt. Beat on low speed until flour is combined. Dough may be crumbly but will hold together when squeezed.
- Form dough into a 12”x1½” log, using parchment paper or plastic wrap to help bring dough together. Wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Slice dough into ¼”-thick slices and place on ungreased baking sheet, about 1” apart.
- Bake 14-18 minutes or until firm to the touch. Allow to stand on baking sheets 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
- Tip: Damp hands can help form the dough into a log with minimal sticking.