A Latke Ways to Celebrate Hanukkah
Hanukkah, the Festival of Lights, is traditionally celebrated by eating foods fried in oil, including the popular latkes or potato pancakes. The classic recipe is a russet potato latke topped with sour cream and applesauce. It’s a solid combo of crispy texture from the pancake, sweetness from the applesauce and tanginess from the sour cream...yum! We love tradition, but latkes are only limited by your creativity. One fun way to bridge tradition with trendy tastes is by creating a Hanukkah latke bar.
A latke bar can be simple, with just a few additional toppings, or you can really turn up the tater-tastic fun. You can branch out from potatoes as the latke base, offer an array of savory and sweet toppings, or both. Start with a few suggested combinations for guests that might be hesitant to stray from the classics, but also encourage individual creativity. You could even have a friendly competition for most delicious flavor combo!
Traditional Latke Flavors
You can’t go wrong when you keep it simple. Stock up on plenty of sour cream and applesauce, and keep the base of this batch classic with russet potatoes.
Jazz it up with a nontraditional latke base and amazing elevated toppings. Dairy products like sour cream, softened cream cheese, ricotta, mascarpone, Greek yogurt, goat cheese or blue cheese can make amazing additions to your latke bar. Pickled and fermented vegetables like onions, carrots, beets or sauerkraut can be delicious, too.
Traditional potato latkes can be paired with:
- Hummus + Sliced Kalamata Olives
- Sour Cream + Dill + Smoked Salmon
- Yellow Mustard + Sauerkraut + Caraway Seeds
Sweet potato latkes are delicious paired with:
- Greek Yogurt + Lemon Zest + Rosemary + Pomegranate Seeds
- Guacamole or Avocado + Sliced Radish
- Cream Cheese + Raisins + Pickled Carrots
Have you tried a beet latke? It’s great topped with:
- Fig + Blue Cheese Crumbles
- Ricotta + Lemon Curd
Root vegetable latkes are so latke-licious! Try them topped with:
- Goat Cheese + Pear Slices
- Caramelized Onion Dip
- Goat Cheese + Pickled Beets
Zucchini latkes offer a slightly different texture and flavor. Try them topped with:
- Pesto + Grape Tomato Slices
- Hard-boiled Egg Slices + Sriracha
- Sour Cream + Lime Zest + Pickled Jalapeno + Cilantro
- Whipped Cream Cheese + Everything Bagel Seasoning
On the Sweeter Side
It’s not all savory at the latke bar. Sweeten things up with fresh apples, pears, pomegranate seeds, bananas, strawberries, oranges, lemons, limes…anything goes! Let’s be honest, who can resist Nutella on anything?
Take traditional to the next level. Top a potato latke with:
- Sweet Whipped Cream + Berries
- Nutella + Banana Slices
- Dark Chocolate Ganache + Flaky Sea Salt
Sweet potato latkes can be even sweeter finished with:
- Almond Butter + Fresh Apple Slices + Ground Cinnamon
- Apple Pie Filling + Cheddar Cheese
For a sweet & savory beet latke, try:
- Mascarpone + Orange Marmalade + Pickled Red Onion
Looking to spice up a root vegetable latke? Top with:
- Curry Mayo + Mango Chutney + Apple Fennel Slaw
Ready to Make Your Own?
Here are a few delicious recipes to get you started!